My Favorite Natural Products for the Laundry Room

|
When my two year old started developing asthma last year I set out on a mission to control it naturally whenever possible. In my research I found that some of the biggest irritants to the respiratory system were sitting in my laundry room. You know the ads that show the mom taking the towels out of the dryer, burying her face in them and breathing in the heavenly fresh scent of her clean laundry? I see those ads in a whole new light after learning that the reason those perfumes are added is to cover up the strong fumes put off by the harmful chemicals that those detergents and softeners contain.


There are many informative articles out there on the dangers of detergents and fabric softeners so I won't go into it here. (I will however provide links at the bottom of this post if you would like to read a few.) These heavy fragrances are made up of a combination of chemicals that gain passage to our bodies through the nose when we inhale them and through our skin when we wear clothing that has been saturated (washed) in them. These chemicals are known to irritate the respiratory system, among other things.


That was enough information to inspire me to find a new laundry detergent, stain remover and for the occasional use with blankets- a safer fabric softener. It is a difficult task as my toddler is a very messy girl that inflicts a variety of stains on her clothing. I am still testing out stain removers and fabric softeners, but I have found my detergent and am loving it.





Seventh Generation Natural Laundry Detergent


What I love about it:




  • Scented with 100% whole essential oils and botanical extracts which won't irritate my child and smell great! I love the blue eucalyptus & lavender.


  • Non-toxic


  • It's made in the US


  • Lists all the ingredients in plain English- no secrets


  • All natural plant-derived ingredients


  • Not tested on animals


  • Works best in cold water- really it does- which is better for the environment and my budget!


  • Company is socially responsible


What I don't love:





  • It's a few dollars more than Tide and Cheer (my previous products). BUT, Kroger always has promos going with their products and when you buy them there you will almost always get a coupon printed out with your receipt to use on your next purchase. It's usually $1 off which helps! ALSO, I do get more loads out of each bottle. It's very concentrated and unlike other brands that claim the same, one cap goes a long way.

If you have tried this product, please leave a comment on what you loved or hated about it as well as any useful tips in improving it's effectiveness.








Two great resources:

http://www.householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/


http://www.herc.org/news/perfume/risks.htm

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails