Beat the Heat Naturally with These Herbs

|
As the days of summer begin a rapid count down, I find myself in the age old dilemma of not wanting to waste my sunny days indoors but not wanting to face the heat either! Here are a few tried and true techniques that cool me down every time.


1. Mint tea.

I'm addicted to Sweet Leaf's Mint & Honey tea, but at the speed I drink these babies I'll be in the poor house soon. (They cost about $2 a pop.) To make your own just brew your a pot of green tea (make it extra strong since you'll be watering it down with cold water and ice) and add a handful of fresh mint leaves (organically grown of course). Let it steep for about 5 minutes, then add a few tablespoons of honey to taste. It's best to add the honey while the tea is hot so it melts and blends well. Pour the hot tea over a pitcher full of ice. Top it up with cold water and stir. Fish out the boiled mint leaves and throw in some fresh ones. Pour over a glass of ice and you're good to go! Take it along with you in a stainless steel canteen for instant refreshment in the sun.


2. Tea Tree Oil and Eucalyptus

Both of these essential oils give a cooling sensation when applied to the skin. Dab some essential oil on your pulse points, or give yourself a rub down with some tea tree or eucalyptus scrub before going out into the heat.


3. Facial Mist

I have a little bottle of Caudalie's Beauty Elixir that I carry with me in my purse. When I get overheated and I can feel my face getting red I give myself a spritz and am instantly soothed. It contains an array of natural elements including mint, rosemary and rose extracts. If you don't want to buy it you can make some soothing facial mist yourself by putting some sprigs of fresh lavender, rosemary and mint into a spray bottle and covering them with cool water. Add a few drops of lavender oil and rose extract for an extra boost.


*Pictures courtesy of Caudalie and myrecipes.com.


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails